In the initial years of the establishment of the outpost, there were good relations between the outpost pioneers and the local Arabs. In 1947, however, pursuant to the UN partition plan resolution, Arab hostilities began, which led to a severe decline in relations. The isolated outpost was surrounded by thousands of incited Arabs and Bedouins, and the only way to get to Mitzpe Beit Eshel was by way of the entrances to the city of Beersheba.
The people in Beit Eshel rejected the British recommendation to evacuate and were assisted by Piper planes in obtaining supplies, egress and rescue. In 1948, on May 19, Egyptian armed forces entered Beersheba. 45 members and 16 Palmach soldiers were left in Beit Eshel with very little weaponry.
Two hundred bombs fell on the outpost within an hour and a half on the first day of bombing. Beit Eshel was bombed relentlessly for five months. There was destruction, and there were casualties. The members and soldiers managed to hold out for a long time thanks to the tunnels and the defenses they had built. When the IDF conquered Beersheba, Nachum Sarig, the commander of the Negev Brigade, presented the Egyptian flag to the people of Beit Eshel. Due to the great destruction, they had to leave the site. The members of the outpost went on to found Moshav Hayogev in the Jezreel Valley.
The restoration of the Beit Eshel courtyard, in conjunction with the construction of Nahal Beersheba Park, was made possible thanks to the assistance of friends of KKL JNF in Canada.