After the UN Security Council’s declaration of partition in November 1947, the site came under attack from Fawzi al-Kaukji’s Arab Liberation Army. During Israel’s War of Independence, the outpost at the site was held by forces from the Oded and Carmeli Brigades and these defenders fought against the Syrian army, which had broken through into the Land of Israel via the road that ascends from the Gesher Bnot Yaakov bridge and via Mishmar HaYarden. Fighting in the area was fierce, especially since the Syrian troops had occupied Mishmar HaYarden (adjacent to where Kibbutz Gadot stands today). Eventually, in July 1948, the Carmeli Brigade occupied the site and prevented the Syrian army from advancing further into Galilee.
The talks on a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Syria took place here, opposite Yarda, on the highway that leads from Mahanayim to Mishmar HaYarden. In the 1990s, work began on the conservation of the Horvat Yarda ruins. This enterprise was initiated by the veterans’ associations with the help of KKL-JNF, the Council for the Preservation of Buildings and Settlements, Mevo'ot HaHermon Regional Council, Kibbutz Mahanayim and Moshav Mishmar HaYarden. A memorial to the seventy-eight fighters who fell in the area during the War of Independence has been erected to the east of Horvat Yarda, overlooking the magnificent landscape of the Jordan Valley and the Golan Heights.