About the Museum
KKL-JNF Museum, Tel Aviv.
Photo: KKL-JNF Photo Archive
KKL-JNF House, 1941.
Photo: KKL-JNF Photo Archive
The Provisional People's Council (later to be the first Parliament of Israel) and the Provisional People's Administration (later to be the first Government of Israel) held their meetings in the house of KKL-JNF in Tel-Aviv at the period between April 18, 1948 to May 14, 1948.
The house - a typical Bauhaus styled building - was inaugurated in 1937. Since 1988, the house serves as an educational center and a museum in which the story of the reclamation and development of the lands of Eretz Yisrael is unfolded.
The Educational Center and Museum are devoted to the presentation of two major subjects:
The Foundation of KKL-JNF:
The idea of the having a Jewish Fund which led to the establishment of the KKL-JNF in 1901, the organization's efforts to reclaim and develop the lands of Eretz Israel on behalf of the Jewish People - all of these are portrayed in the Educational Center and Museum. They are presented at a unique audio-visual presentation titled "KKL-JNF - Past-Present-Future".
The Activities and Decisions of the Members of the Provisional People's Council and Administration:
The Provisional People's Council (later to be the first Parliament of Israel) and the Provisional People's Administration (later to be the first Government of Israel) used to meet in the building which today serves the Educational Center and Museum. These meetings were held during the months prior to the establishment of the State of Israel. Here were made the decisions which led to the establishment of the Jewish state, and which are brought to life today by an impressive audio-visual presentation titled "Days of Fatal Decisions".
The educational center and museum is equipped with modern pedagogical and audio-visual tools.
Left- KKL-JNF Museum interior; Right- KKL-JNF Blue Boxes from different time periods. Photos: KKL-JNF Photo Archive
Two research libraries are found in the building. The Libraries are open to the public and contain documents, books, photographs and slides exposing the history and activities of the KKL-JNf. A professional team assists visitors wishing to browse through the libraries.
Location and Opening Hours
Address: 11 Zvi Shapira St., Tel Aviv 61231
Telephone: 03-5261146 or 03-5261104
Opening Hours : Sunday-Thursday, 6:30 AM to 16:00 PM
Types of Visit :
- Regular Visit - A 2 hour visit that includes a guided tour and an audio-visual presentation.
- Extended Visit - A 2 1/2 hour visit that includes a guided tour and 2 audio-visual presentations.
- Enhanced Visit - A 4 hour visit that includes a guided tour, 2 audio-visual presentations and activities for students.
Note : The Educational Center and Museum are open for groups only. Visits must be booked in advance and an entrance fee is charged. Individuals wishing to visit the research library are welcome upon making an appointment.